Monday, July 11, 2011

Letting Go of TV

Watching TV pretty much blows. It's a waste of fucking time. It's worse than masturbation (in terms of being productive and worthwhile).

I can't tell you how much I hate the fact that if I find a TV on, I am attracted to it's shiny objects and offers of freedom from thought, like a pause button on life.

In terms of slavery, it is the perfect slaveholder. It comforts us. It distracts us. It tells us how to think, what to do. What to buy. It keeps our mind off of “serious things” and critical thought.

On the surface, I would argue that these aren't inherently bad. But just like sobering up from alcohol or going to rehab for drug abuse, time away from the “fix” can begin to feel like a dream and the time under the influence is reality.

I guess if you want to use a movie as a metaphor to this, we could use Inception as a great example. Leonardo DiCaprio's character was between the dream state and reality so often that he had a hard time knowing which is which. Suddenly, you are more comfortable in that world which is not real, an illusory place that (at least for the moment) take cares of your worries and problems.  Reality kind of sucks after that.

I really hate writing about shit like this but I can't help but see a generation of human beings who's lives have been spent living on the couch, instead of spent creating and bettering others' lives.

It'd be a damn shame.

1 comment:

Dylan M. Austin said...

I am going to write a response to this. I was planning on covering this topic, too, but now you're making me take a new approach to it. And I will whore your post on my blog, too. :)