Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Playing With Boundaries

Most of our behavior is pretty (boring-ly) straight-forward.

On a day to day basis, most of us don't go outside our comfort zone.  We know exactly how to act to attract the least/most attention and going outside those known behaviors is a pretty scary thing.  It get's us from point A to point B, so we must be doing something right, right?

The only problem is that we don't exert any self-pressure to go beyond where we are at.  Talking to strangers, practicing the art of light banter, standing up for yourself, telling someone what you truly think, truly listening while someone is speaking and so on are all activities that will make you learn and grow.

But most people won't do them.  Shoot, even I wish I did a better job at that.

In a way, that's the whole point: going outside the comfort zone everyday is important.

Without it we all get complacent.  We take things for granted.  We know exactly what to expect.  No surprises.

Think about it from another perspective.  In fact, think of something you are really good at.  It should be a skill or talent that you excel at or have passion for.

I know for me, I never thought I'd be able to get the basic skills of being a barista at Starbucks.  In the beginning it all seemed so complicated.  I eventually got it.

Anyway, do you remember what it was like when you first started learning how to do that thing?  Do you remember being a complete newbie and feeling like you would never get to where you are now?  What do you remember?  Anything specific?

Chances are good that those memories are pretty vivid.  Chances are good because when you are out of your comfort zone, you are intensely alive.  You are completely aware of your surroundings and acutely aware of every moment.  While you may not have known it at the time, you were actually in the zone.

It's a pretty sweet place to be.  We just can't see it at the time.

So I think pushing yourself to do something (just one thing) that is uncomfortable and out of character  every day is something we are all missing.

I know I can vouch for myself.

No comments: