Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Being "The Decider"

Lately I've been completely fascinated with people who get stuff done.

Specifically, I' referring to the CEO-enterpreneur-manager personality type who has to make a bunch of decisions on a daily basis and follows through on getting shit done.

hahahahahaha
Maybe it's because it's qualities I deeply lack.

It has become painfully obvious that I get lost in decision making. It leads to a lot of wasted time. I try to think through every decision of the day. What will be my most efficient use of time? “Let's sit down and think it through” is the justification.

But while I'm thinking, I'm usual doing nothing. Meanwhile, the CEO-entrepreneurial type made the decision long ago and has made many more since.

Thoughtful” decision-making often means lack of decision-making. At least for me. And I know this holds true for others as well.

Every decision cannot be a life or death thing. We can't research everything through to the end. It's the perfectionist tendency that convinces us otherwise.

Many of the days choices are massively trivial. Most of the time it's more efficient go with the best option you have at the moment and to accept that everything will not be done perfectly.

It's a really bitter pill to swallow. I hate not doing a perfect job. It stabs at my insides to clean my room and see that more can be done. But there is simply not enough time in the day to clean my room perfectly and write out a perfect blog post and read every book I want to read.

I cannot tell you how much I hate thinking about letting mediocrity in my life but it's a necessary evil. I simply don't get enough important stuff done on a daily basis.

I've been lucky enough to meet some pretty ambitious people in my life who embody the qualities of that hard-nosed decision-maker and my eyes were opened to what that really is.

Instead of seeing someone who haphazardly decides on the day's agenda, I see people who, through massive amounts of experience making on both terrible and great decisions, are able to grasp the art of efficiency.

At the end of the day, this might be the holy grail to being a rockstar at what you do. We'll see.

No comments: